If your aspiration is to work as a substantive consultant in the UK, you will need to gain entry onto the specialist register.
Are you Eligible to Apply?
If you have not completed a GMC UK approved training programme, you are advised to explore the Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) route. All applicants are required to have either been awarded a specialist qualification, which is equivalent to one that is needed to apply for the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or have undertaken specialist training for at least six months.
CCT is the pathway for those doctors who have completed a full GMC UK approved training programme from year one.
CESR-CP is the pathway for doctors who entered a GMC-approved UK training programme after year 1, usually in year 3 and 4, and have therefore partially completed a GMC UK approved training programme.
To embark on this journey, it is a necessity for you to submit a portfolio of evidence. To ensure a successful application from the outset of this six to nine months process, an extensive amount of guidance should be sought.
The evidence provided as part of your application should be distributed under the following domains:
Domain 1: Knowledge, Skills, and performance – 75%
Domain 2: Safety and Quality – 20%
Domain 3: Communication, Partnership and Teamwork – 5% (combined for both domains 3 & 4)
Domain 4: Maintaining Trust – 5% (combined for both domains 3 & 4)
If you would like specialty-specific guidance on evidence required, please click here.
In accordance with the GMC and the user guide, you should submit approximately 1000 pages of evidence (150 documents) as part of your application.
To minimise delays on your application, please follow the top tips below.
Please ensure that:
- Evidence of qualifications provided were awarded in the last five years. These qualifications will be allocated a higher weighting by the Royal College.
- Evidence is uploaded as a word, PDF, or Excel document.
- The resolution of all uploaded documents is clear.
- Evidence is varied as providing the same evidence under one domain will not make up for lost evidence under another.
- The title of each document uploaded includes:
-The type of document it is
-The date of the document
-The institution the document is from
- If the title includes one of the following characters, this document will not be reviewed.
For example, MRCP 2012
If you are a SAS doctor and would like to gain practical advice from the GMC’s specialist application team whilst also acquiring 5 CPD credits, join the virtual workshop ‘Navigating the CESR Route’ on 15TH July 2021.
Workshop content includes:
· A presentation delivered by the GMC’s specialist application team followed be a Q&A session
· Assessment of CESR applications
· Guidance on successful applications
· Direction on collecting the necessary evidence and references
If you would like to be placed at a Trust where you will have the opportunity to embark on your CESR journey, register with Remedium today.
At Remedium, all of our candidates receive a bespoke experience; our team will get to know you, your motivations and your specific expertise in order to align your skillset with the NHS Trust who will be best placed in supporting you to achieve your career goals.